Saturday 22 March 2014

Author interview- Jessica Gibson

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Jessica Gibson author of The Harder I Fall

Hi Jessica, thank you for agreeing to this interview. What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I think my ambitions are like most authors, I would love to be on the top 100 on Amazon, and NY Times Bestseller’s List. That would be like a dream. I really just want the write stories that people want to read.

Which writers inspire you?
There are so many. When I was younger, Nora Roberts was my idol, I devoured her books. Now, some of the amazing indie authors out there are doing some amazing things, and it’s so inspiring to see them hit it big.

So, what have you written?
I started out writing paranormal, I have a vampire series called the Blood Ties series, and a YA paranormal book called Haunted U. Then I switched gears and started writing contemporary romance and I have to say I love it. Dressed in White was my first contemporary romance, and now I have The Harder I Fall.

Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?
Becca is so focused, I wish I had some of her drive. She’s also so fragile, you just want to protect her from everything bad in the world.

What are you working on at the minute?
Right now I’m working on The Deeper We Get which is sort of a spin off from The Harder I Fall and features Becca’s brother Chad.

What’s it about?
It flashes forward 4 years from when The Harder I Fall left off and will show Chad finding who he is.

What genre are your books?
Contemporary Romance and Paranormal Romance

What draws you to this genre?
I love contemporary because the characters are so real, and it’s real life situations they are in. With paranormal, I just love the fantasy aspect of creating worlds and different beings.

Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Haha, this is actually the first book where I did not have a set cast in my head. The characters were so real to me in my head that I just couldn’t cast them.

How much research do you do?
With this book I actually spoke with a working ballerina so I could get all the terms right. I like things to be as correct and true to life as possible.

Have you written any other novels in collaboration with other writers?
I haven’t, but I think it would be a lot of fun to do it!

When did you decide to become a writer?
In 2011 when my husband told me to get off my butt and actually do it lol.

Why do you write?
I write because the stories need to be told. I love the whole process of seeing the character’s and how they develop.

What is the hardest thing about writing?
The end of the book. I hate saying goodbye

What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
The Harder I Fall was an emotional book to write, I got wrapped up in it a lot. I sobbed during some scenes.

What is the easiest thing about writing?
The storyline itself, it just sort of flowed out of me.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
2-5 months, depending on how much time I have.

Do you ever get writer’s Block?
All the time! Which is usually why I write in a few at a time so I can switch to one that is flowing.

Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
I really do! The book cover will sell your book. A crappy one will cause it to fail.

How are you publishing this book and why?
Indie published, because I liked having the control.

Any amusing story about marketing books that happened to you?
Not as of yet, but I’m sure there will be some in the future.

What’s your views on social media for marketing?
Social media is so important! It’s really the only way we can get our names out there. If you put out a book and don’t do any marketing, you may as well have not put it out at all.

What is your favourite book and why?
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I love the history and the romance.

What is your favourite quote?
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. -C. S. Lewis

What is your favourite movie and why?
Hmmmm, probably Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Universe or Kiss, Kiss Bang, Bang. I like them both because they are clever and funny.

Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?
Hopefully on top of the charts! I want to be writing still because I love it so much.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Keep going! Don’t quit. Also, hire a professional editor, and get someone to do an amazing cover for you.

Where do you see publishing going in the future?
I feel like print books will be a thing of the past. E-readers will be where all books will be.

How can readers discover more about you and you work?
Website: www.authorjessicagibson.com
Blog: www.thisauthorslife.blogspot.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jessica-Gibson/120212814747940?ref=hl

Twitter: @jessicajgibson
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/jessicajgibson/

Smashwords: http://www.amazon.com/Jessica-Gibson/e/B005OT569M/

Book Links:
http://www.amazon.com/Harder-I-Fall-Jessica-Gibson-ebook/dp/B00IKAGM54
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IKAGM54

Goodreads:


 
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment