Monday 17 February 2014

Author Interview with Trista Jaszczak

Today I’m very lucky to be interviewing Trista Jaszczak author of Loverboy
Hi Trista, thank you for agreeing to this interview. Tell us a little about yourself and your background?
I’m Trista, I’m from Hamilton, Ohio but currently live in Anchorage, Alaska. I am a military spouse, mother of two and mother to two rescued pups.
What are your ambitions for your writing career?
I would love to see best seller status. Just seeing it on the cover of my books…I would feel so accomplished. A best seller is the product of amazing writing and hard work. I couldn’t get any more accomplished than that.
Which writers inspire you?
Madeleine Wickham/Sophie Kinsella, Janet Evanovich, Meg Cabot, Stephen King, J.K Rowling just to name a few.
So, what have you written?

I have the Darkness Falls series (6 books) Loverboy, and the Believe series (Fairy tale retellings, about 20 books and growing).

Darkness Falls: Hunted, Darkness Falls: The Thirst, Darkness Falls: The End

Believe series: Little Red, The Shoe, Scarred, Only Sleeping, Who’s The Fairest?. Whose Bed? Hat Trick, I Wish, and several others that are works in progress.
Where can we buy or see them? (* include American, European and any other relevant links. Free, free promotions or prices can be included)
Right now I am in the process of switching publishers, so I am having Little Red and The Shoe relaunched this year. Loverboy is available on Amazon.
Give us an insight into your main character. What does he/she do that is so special?
Charlie from Loverboy is a survivor. She never loses hope even in the darkest time. I think that’s what makes her so special.
What are you working on at the minute?
Scarred =)
What’s it about?
Scarred is my twist on Beauty and the Beast compete with a bad boy biker.
What genre are your books?
Romance
What draws you to this genre?
I am a complete hopeless romantic. =)
Which actor/actress would you like to see playing the lead character from your most recent book?
Kaley Cuoco would make a perfect Charlie
How much research do you do?
Probably way too much, haha. I spend 75% of the researching and interviewing just to learn.
Have you written any other novels in collaboration with other writers?
Not yet, but hope to one day.
When did you decide to become a writer?
I’m pretty sure I was about 5 years old. Once I picked up a pen and some paper and started writing, I just couldn’t stop. Haha. Though I never took it seriously until I was in high school and really thought through the possibilities of making it a career. Even then it was still years down the road for me.
Why do you write?
It’s a release for me. I put a little of myself in all of the characters and release my emotions. For me, it’s not just a hobby, it’s a passion, it’s a way of living.
What made you decide to sit down and actually start something?
It was my senior year in high school and I was supposed to write a short story. That short story, at the encouragement of my teacher, because a 6 book series.
What is the hardest thing about writing?
Writer’s block and when characters just won’t cooperate with me. They have a mind of their own, I tell you! ;)
What was the hardest thing about writing your latest book?
Eric,  my bad boy biker…that man does have a mind of his own and has gone and entire different direction than what I had planned for him. Haha. It’s flowing, but he took a turn on me.
What is the easiest thing about writing?
Once I get to know a character and how they flow on paper…the writing just pours out of me. I’ll sit down and knock out 10,000 words and will only stop to sleep (I am a night owl).
How long on average does it take you to write a book?
As long as it flows I can write it in about 4 months. Then comes revising and editing and fine tuning.
Do you ever get writer’s Block?
Oh yeah, when a character wants to go off my plot outline and I have no idea where to take it, I’ll get the dreaded writer’s block. That’s when I have to sit, re-read everything I have from start to finish and feel my characters out more.
Any tips on how to get through the dreaded writer’s block?
I love to re-read and re-read and re-read some more. It puts me in the book, especially working so late at night when it’s quiet, and I feel out my characters and story.
Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
Now I do. I used to think that covers didn’t matter and before mine were pretty plain. Having revamped them and relaunching them, it’s surprising at how many people take notice to the covers. I know the old saying “never judge a book by it’s cover,” but people still do.
How are you publishing this book and why?
I’m currently with a new Indie publisher and will publish with them.
Any amusing story about marketing books that happened to you?
Not so far, but I’m sure this year will have lots, haha.

What’s your views on social media for marketing?
I use social media like crazy to market and think it’s one of the best ways to easily spread your name and your work.
What is your favourite book and why?
Christine by Stephen King if I have to pick one. An old, possessed car? LOVE IT!
What is your favourite quote?
“Keep moving forward.” Because it’s true…just keep moving forward.
What is your favourite film and why?
The Goonies. I have loved it since I was a kid and it has so many childhood memories for me. I’m a little ticked so many of the old scenes were hacked out! (I.e. the octopus, ect)
Where can you see yourself in 5 years time?
I would love to be a best seller with at least 15 more books out. Since my Believe series is so huge (so far 20 books) the number of books should be no problem at all. It’s the best selling part  that’s being very optimistic.
What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Never let anyone make you drop your pen. Keep writing. Take bad reviews with a grain of salt. Keep moving forward =)
Where do you see publishing going in the future?
Maybe one day I’ll go the traditional route. Who knows. Time will tell =)
Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
A huge thanks to my readers. I can’t do any of this without them. A big thanks to those who’ve bought my books and stuck with me while changing publishers.
How can readers discover more about you and you work?

Website: www.authortrista.com
Blog: www.tristajaszcza.wordpress.com
Facebook:
www.facebook.com/AuthorTristaJaszczak
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/AuthorTrista
Instagram: @authortrista
Pinterest:
www.pinterest.co/jazzywriter
Amazon Author Page:
http://www.amazon.com/Trista-Jaszczak/e/B004MJDHM8/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1


Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for being part of the tour & this great interview - Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! The interview was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete