Sunday 16 February 2014

Author Interview with Scott Hildreth




Q:  Where were you born and where do you call home?

A:  I was born in San Diego, California, and I live in Wichita, Kansas. I consider Wichita to be home. There’s something about being here that is comforting and easy to come back to, regardless of where I may visit.

Q: Are you truly a starving artist?  Or do you actually have a day job?  What is it?

A:  My day job is writing. My night job is writing. My only job is writing. It’s all I’ve got, and it’s all I do.

Q:  What gives you inspiration to write?

A:  My inspiration to write is whatever it is that lives inside of me and allows me to develop characters, stories, and find the voice to write. It’s difficult to explain. I have an ability to allow fictional characters take me over and express themselves through my fingertips and onto paper. My inspiration….It’s not necessarily the story, or the underlying message that inspires me, although I may be inspired by it. It’s the telling. Making it come together. Turning a character or group of characters into a novel that makes sense to people – that alone inspires me. So, as I say, in summary – my inspiration is in knowing that I will finish it, and it’ll make sense to my intended audience.

Q:  What was the hardest book thus far for you to write and why?

A:  My most difficult book to date, without a doubt, Dying to Survive. That book has made a mess of me. I think the primary reason is the fact that there are six characters in the book, and they are all in some way mentally ‘off’. The book is a very troubling look at what we may consider when exposed to decisions about death, survival, coping with child abuse, rape, murder, abduction, captivity, greed, and repressed memories. It’s a tough book to write and maintain a level of separation from the characters. I become so
close to the characters when I write that it makes it difficult to completely separate myself. Writing this wadded me up in an emotional ball for a month.

Q:  Do you have plans for a new book?  If so, what is it about?

A:  I always have plans for a new book. My newest book coming out will be the second in the Undefeated series, Unstoppable. Although they are all stand-alone books, the Mike Ripton book is coming up next. It’s sure to satisfy the alpha-male junkies. Let’s just agree that Mike Ripton makes Erik Ead look like a softie when it comes to sex. After that, Teddy and Heather from the Baby Girl series. Then, by mid to late March, a twisted dark tale about women, men, and what makes us cringe when we’re alone.

Q:  Your thoughts on receiving book reviews - the good and the bad…

A:  Book reviews have the ability to help potential readers make a better educated guess on whether or not they may be interested in reading a particular book. Additionally, if presented properly, they allow the author to consider what was written into the review, and allow him/her to decide if the criticism is warranted, and if there can be adjustments made in the future to prevent having the same issues with later writings. I love good reviews, but my worst ratings have brought me some of my most useful reviews.

Q:  If you gave one of your characters an opportunity to speak for themselves, what 
would they say?

A:  Kelsey Theodore Wilson. “People are always sayin’ Get a life. I hate that saying. I think we should change it to, Get busy livin’. I like that better. We all got a life, we just need to get busy livin’ the one we got.
So, if I get to say my peace, Get busy livin’.

Q:  What is your biggest pet peeve?

A:  My biggest pet peeve in life are people that stand in front of me in line at the coffee shop and look at the menu like they have no idea why they’re there. My biggest pet peeve in writing are the people that apparently do not see the value in reading a synopsis prior to reading a book.

Q:  What are 4 things you never leave home without?

A:   Four things I will never leave home without. My watch. My electronic cigarette. My money clip and my glasses.

Q:  Coffee or tea? How much of it do you drink on a daily basis?

A:  Coffee. How much a day. Holy crap, seriously? Well, I drink three pots a day. As you that know me know. I do not drink water. For the month of October, 2013. I went from October 1st - October 30th without as much as a sip of water. I was proving a point in going a month, but didn’t realize it was still October when I took a drink from a water bottle. I drink coffee until three a.m., and go to bed. It has no effect on me as far as keeping me awake, but I love the taste. Tea? No thank you.

Q:  If you had a superpower, what would it be?

A:  If I had a superpower it would be like the Flash. I would be normal, but have the ability to go from point A to point B in an instant. Other than that, the same guy. Flash is normal, right?

Q:  What is one of your favorite quotes?

A:  My favorite quote is this: “You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don’t take.” - Wayne Gretzky.


No comments:

Post a Comment